At some point, your bathroom or kitchen countertop will need some updating. It depends on your requirement. For example, you want to upgrade your current bathroom countertop and choose among brand-new quartz countertops options. Or you are eyeing granite kitchen countertops as a good replacement to your kitchen countertop.
However, it is important to consider different factors when you decide to replace your countertop. For one thing, countertop replacement doesn’t come cheap. It will also require setting a budget and creating a plan covering the “before, during, and after” the installation process.
Countertop installation may not affect your daily life. Still, it is important to plan ahead because it’s still considered as a major home project. Here are some important factors you need to think about before replacing a countertop.
What are the different countertop options?
There are different types of countertop materials you can choose from. Among popular countertop material options include:
- Quartz – offers different color and pattern design options. It is also known for its durability.
- Granite – offers attractive design and color options and has been one of the most popular countertop material for many years.
- Marble – a natural stone material common in most residential projects. It offers elegant design options and is one of the most popular countertops and flooring designs for years.
- Laminate – also known for its durability, different color, and design options.
- Solid Surface – also available in different designs, colors, and finishing.
- Concrete – offers a simple yet durable design. You can design and paint it any way you want.
Each of these popular countertop materials varies in material and labor costs. For example, marble and granite are the more expensive types among the above options. On the other hand, laminate material is more affordable in terms of installation and material costs.
Replacing your countertops depend on your need. For example, you may need to upgrade the countertop if it already has an outdated design. Likewise, maintenance problems may also contribute to the decision to replace the countertop. Damaged countertops may also need to be replaced as it can harbor bacteria and even cause potential injuries.
Before installation, make sure that the cabinets can support heavier countertop materials. Also, consider each countertop material’s maintenance needs. For example, granite countertops may need resealing from time to time. On the other hand, quartz kitchen countertops won’t need resealing or polishing.
Price vs value
As mentioned, the countertop material you choose will depend on your budget. Countertop materials vary in price and installation costs. For example, granite countertops are more expensive than laminate in terms of material and labor cost. Once you choose the material, decide which design, color, and grade you will need.
Hiring granite contractors can also add up to your total cost. Pre-fabricated countertops are available in many home improvement stores. If you are a DIY person, you can opt for these countertops so you can save cash from hiring professionals. But if you are not experienced with major home improvement projects, you should consider hiring a professional instead.
In addition, you should also consider your lead time. The duration of installation will depend on the material used and their availability. Usually, countertop contractors can finish the entire project in about two weeks.
Repair or replace?
There are instances wherein you may not need to replace your current countertop. It depends on the general condition of your countertop. For example, you may opt to repair the damaged part and retain the rest of the material. Not only can it save you extra money but also save time and effort from a tedious installation process.
If it’s only minor damage, you can simply repair the damaged part. But for major damages, you should consider replacing the entire thing. Here are some tips in choosing the right countertop material:
- Measure your countertop area prior to shopping for a new one. This will help in estimating material costs.
- Decide on what countertop material you will buy and you think will suit your needs.
- Consider maintenance requirements when choosing a countertop material.
- Use the right tools when repairing a countertop. Better yet, hire experienced personnel to do the job.
Choose the best countertop contractors near you
Countertop replacement is a major home project. For your kitchen or bathroom renovation needs, you should contact the best installer of kitchen countertops in Durham.