Granite countertops will give your house a magnificent look. A kitchen modeled with a granite countertop will add return on the investment of the house it provides the house with a regal effect. The granite countertops do not only add aesthetic value to the house, but it’s also durable and last longer. The cardinal rule is that if its valuable its need to be taken care of, and this is no exception for the Kitchen countertops. It’s paramount to take care of the countertop to maintain its beauty and appeal
Simple Ways to Take Care and Maintain Granite Countertops
- Use Sealant
It’s crucial to seal the granite during installation to create a nonporous finish. Sealing will protect the countertop from stains. The lighter counter may require frequent sealing as compared to darker colored granite which may require sealing once per year.
How to Know your granite requires sealing
Simply splash water on the countertop and see if the water gets absorbed. If the water is absorbed, then you need to reseal the countertop.
Ensure the countertop is dry and apply the sealant with a dry cloth.
Let the granite top dry and apply a second coat. Let it rest for 24 hours without any touch or use
- Daily Cleaning
While it may be advisable to buy a granite cleaner, mild soap that with no acid and water will work just fine. While cleaning use a soft cloth, and dry off after cleaning
- Stain Removal
Stains may be inevitable especially in the kitchen countertops, but all is not lost. Make a small paste of baking soda and water and place it on the stain, cover it and leave for a few hours. The baking soda will absorb the stain.
- Maintain the granite shine
To keep the granite looking great to apply granite polish using a soft cloth to maintain the luster and beauty.
Simple Procedures to Follow to Ensure Your Kitchen Countertop Lasts Longer
- Avoid using an abrasive material to clean the top. Avoid scouring pads, acidic soaps or any bleach
- Don’t use the countertop as a cutting board
- Regularly inspect the granite counter top to check for stains or any cracks
- Sanitize the granite often to kill germs
- Blot out spills as soon as they happen
- In spite of granite being heat resistant, its advisable to use hot pads or trivets to protect the countertops. Though it’s rare the granite may suffer from thermal shock due to heat
Granite Countertops require just a little more effort and care and in return, a lifetime of an enchanting home is guaranteed. Though they require a little more maintenance work the granites are the best solution for your home countertops.